Sarah Charsley April 2021
Hydrolysed Marine Collagen, it’s Important
Like it or not we're all getting older. As we age our bodies produce less collagen. The less collagen we produce the less elastic our skin becomes and our bones can lose strength. We could go on but we’re not here to depress you. We’re here to give you some good news...IT DOESN’T TAKE MUCH TO TRIGGER YOUR BODY'S COLLAGEN PRODUCTION AND HELP REPLENISH YOUR SUPPLY.
Hydrolysed Marine Collagen
We know collagen is a difficult market to navigate, so let us help you.
All animals, humans included, have large amounts of the protein collagen in their body. Collagen is necessary for healthy bones, skin, joints, ligaments, and teeth.
There are two main sources of nutritional collagen: Bovine (cows) and Marine (fish). There are various sources of marine collagen. We only ever use sustainable enzymatic hydrolised collagen sourced from Atlantic wild cod.
Marine collagen is mostly type 1 collagen – that’s the one found in your skin, bones, teeth, joints, tendons and connective tissue. Type 1 accounts for 90% of your body's collagen. Bovine collagen is Type 2 collagen and is found mainly in soft cartilage.
THE BENEFITS OF MARINE COLLAGEN
1. Marine collagen is the best choice if you are pescatarian or want to avoid beef products.
2. Marine collagen has a high collagen content and is more easily absorbed by the body (bioavailable) than its bovine counterpart.
3. Type 1 collagen is the most prevalent collagen present in skin and bones – think glowing, smoother skin with less lines and wrinkles.
4. Marine collagen is extracted from the skin, scales and bones of fish – basically the bits that usually go to waste after the flesh is removed, making it a more eco-friendly and sustainable collagen source.
5. After extraction marine collagen is sometimes hydrolysed, LIKE OURS, making it even easier to absorb through the gut and into the bloodstream.
6. The process of hydrolysation can be done either chemically, using acids, or by the use of enzymes, which are more expensive but help keep the integrity of the collagen. We use the latter process which means OUR COLLAGEN WON'T BREAK DOWN IN YOUR COFFEE WITH HOT WATER – it’s also soluble in cold water.
7.Most IMPORANTLY our collagen comes from Atlantic wild caught Cod and has nothing to do with the big fella in the main picture, hence the reason your source of collagen is essential.
So you see, compared to other collagen powders and supplements our enzymatic hydrolised collagen really is a whole different kettle of fish!
Our Collagen Coffee contains 4500mg of collagen – that's a lot more collagen than is found in most supplements. This means you'll be receiving a meaningful dose of collagen with each drink. N.B. Sugar interferes with collagen’s ability to repair itself. For the best results minimise your consumption of added sugar and carbs. We’ve read the science stuff so you don’t have to (unless you really want to).
Article credit: Sarah Charsley
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/collagen-type-1Marine Collagen from Alternative and Sustainable Sources: Extraction, Processing and Applications. Mar. Drugs 2020, 18, 214; doi:10.3390/md18040214. mdpi.com/journal/marinedrugsNutriton and Ageing Skin: Sugar & Glycation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20620757